Thursday, March 25, 2010

Week 11

Oops! I haven't updated in a couple weeks since our crazy snow storms!

Well, I'm happy to report that the weather lately has been sunshine and warmer temperatures!! The recent weather has definitely made my runs much more enjoyable. I even look forward to getting out there because the outdoors are just so beautiful when the sun is shining and the birds are chirping. For sure a great running motivator.

This past Sunday, I hit a personal milestone. I ran 16 miles! This is HUGE for me. Growing up, anyone who knows me knows I was NOT a runner. I had no desire to ever run and never understood why some people actually liked to run. I used to say, "Uhh, the only time you'll find me running is if I'm being chased!" Now, this outlook has changed completely! I truly enjoy running. Who ever imagined I'd say that?! But it really has grown on me. Since I started college back in 2003, I would run a little bit every once in a while, but not for any great distance or length of time. It wasn't until summer/fall of last year that I actually started running pretty religiously. And my love for it slowly grew. There's something about running that is just so peaceful to me: out on the road with just yourself and your thoughts. It's a great time to think. It gets you away from the busy hustle and bustle of daily life and let's you take a step back (ooor a run forward...) and just be in your thoughts and nothing else matters. It really is very 'zen' if you will... :)

Accomplishing 16 miles gave me the courage and confidence I needed to believe that I really can run the marathon. All my runs before that, I would come home still skeptical about whether or not I really would be able to physically run 26.2 miles. But coming home after my 16 mile run, I was PUMPED! And even EXCITED for the marathon. I know I can do it!


Uhh... sometime I pretend I'm Forrest Gump on my long runs?!
...and tell myself 'Run, Anna, Run!'

No comments:

Post a Comment